Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Digital Data Collection Assessment - Camo

The way the students identified and described the camouflaged animal pictures we discussed as a class, I thought all the students had a good understanding of the four types of camouflage (color, shape, mimicry and pattern).  Then the assessment was done.  When I read the answers to the form, which were nicely summarized by Google Forms, it became apparent that there were things misunderstood.  A couple pairs talked about the texture of the animal.  I don't recall myself or any student using the word texture to describe the animals/insects in the pictures we went through together.  It wasn't clear to me what they were trying to convey when they used the word texture, so I would like to follow up with those students to understand what they meant.  The answers also showed me that there was confusion about mimicry.  There were pictures classified as mimicry that would have been more appropriate classified as something else.  Mimicry is an area I would revisit. 

I really liked how the Google Doc form was very simple to create and distribute and most of all how it organized the data for me.  I could look through the answers all lined up together to see patterns among students or see that a particular pair of students having difficulty with a concept.  I can then make modifications to my lesson to adjust for problem areas.  Looking back, I would have liked to have read through the responses to the form while Sarah was doing her part of the project and then went over analyzed photos with the class when she was done.  Knowing where the problem or questionable areas were would have helped me focus my efforts during such a review. 

When I first made the form, I didn't include a question asking for the pair's names.  As I was thinking more about how I would know who needs or doesn't need more assistance, I added it.  I'm so glad I did.  I will certainly keep that in mind with all my digital assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment